When you have questions about your state and federal taxes, the IRS can help in a number of ways.
1) Call the IRS. For help with individual taxes, call 1-800-829-1040. For help with business taxes, call 1-800-829-4933
Call (503)326-2333 in the Portland area or 1-877-777-4778 elsewhere, or see Publication 1546.
4) Visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center in Portland for face-to-face help.
Good news: There’s no appointment necessary. But you’re also welcome to call and leave a message to request an appointment if you prefer.
Services you can get on a walk-in, non-advance appointment basis include:
- Help preparing your basic individual income tax return if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit or your income is $38,000 or less
- Answers to tax questions related to your individual federal tax return
- Help preparing your heavy vehicle use tax return
Multilingual assistance is available in every office.
1220 SW 3rd Ave.
Portland, OR 97204
1660 Oak St. SE
Salem, OR 97301
When you call the above numbers, you will reach a recorded message with information about office hours, locations and services provided in that office. You may leave a message to request an appointment or to reschedule an existing appointment. You will receive a return call within two business days.
You may also contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service is an IRS program that provides an independent system to assure that tax problems, which have not been resolved through normal channels, are promptly and fairly handled.