In order to register to vote, you must be:
- An Oregon resident.
- A U.S. Citizen (or will become a citizen before Election Day). 18 years old by Election Day.
When do I need to update my voter registration?
Your voter registration must be updated when:
- You move or change your mailing address.
- You change your name.
- You would like to change your party affiliation
What type of ID should I bring when I register?
You only need ID if you are a new registrant in the county and you are mailing your registration card via the United States Postal Service.
If you’re updating your registration in the same county or delivering a new registration in person, you don’t need ID.
Acceptable identification includes:
- A copy of your current, valid photo identification (such as a driver's license)
- A copy of a paycheck stub, utility bill, bank statement or other government document showing your name and address.
Where can I get a voter registration card?
The forms are available online or you may pick one up:
- At your county elections office. The Multnomah County office is at 1040 SE Morrison St.
- In the Qwest telephone directory.
- At most banks, post offices, libraries, schools and DMV offices.
What is the registration deadline?
To be eligible to vote, your registration card must be postmarked or received 21 days prior to Election Day.
Party registration changes must be received at an elections office by the registration deadline.
What if I move?
If you are currently registered to vote in Multnomah County, but have moved within the county, you may update your registration with a signed written notice of your new address.
Please fax your new information to: (503) 988-3719, or mail it to: Multnomah County Elections, 1040 SE Morrison St., Portland, OR 97214.
I will be out of town when ballots are mailed (18 days prior to the election date). How do I get a ballot?
You may download the Absentee Ballot Request Application. Absentee ballots are available 45 days before the election. If you need it sooner, one from the county elections office either in person, by mail, or by fax.
- Your name.
- Your Multnomah County residence address.
- The address to which the ballot should be mailed.
- The election for which you are requesting an absentee ballot.
- Your signature.
Your completed ballot must be received by Multnomah County Elections or a designated drop site by 8pm on election day. (Postmarks don’t matter.)
Can I e-mail my updated registration to you?
No. You must mail or fax your updated registration. New registrations must be mailed or delivered.
What if I become a U.S. Citizen after the registration deadline?
If you are planning on becoming a U.S. Citizen after the registration deadline you must register by the registration deadline. A special registration form is required. Please contact the county elections office at (503) 988-3720 for more information.
Do I have to re-register for each election?
No. You only need to update your registration when your residence or mailing address changes; your name changes; or you wish to change your party affiliation.
Can I transfer my voter registration from another state?
No. You must register in Oregon.
How can I confirm that I am registered?
You may call the country elections office at (503) 988-3720.